Get 1893 in Sports essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 1893 in Sports discussion
. Add 1893 in Sports
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
1893 in Sports
1893 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
- The Football League - Sunderland 48 points, Preston North End 37, Everton 36, Aston Villa 35, Bolton Wanderers 32, Burnley 30
- FA Cup final - Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 Everton at Fallowfield Stadium in Manchester
- Ahead of the 1893-94 season, the Football League decides to expand the Second Division from 12 to 16 clubs but, with the unexpected demise of Accrington, they are left with 15.
- Notts County and Accrington have been relegated from the First Division and replaced by Darwen and Sheffield United, both promoted from the Second Division. Bootle is expelled from the league and, to make the Second Division up to 16 clubs, the league elects Liverpool, Middlesbrough Ironopolis (league membership 1893-94), Newcastle United, Rotherham Town (1893-96) and Woolwich Arsenal, the latter being the first club from the south of England to join the Football League. Unexpectedly, Accrington then withdraws from the Football League and the 1893-94 Second Division has to proceed with an uneven 15 clubs.
- Although the Football League is experiencing membership difficulties at this time, it has nevertheless succeeded in electing three of its most illustrious members: Liverpool, Newcastle United and Arsenal.
- 28 September -- foundation of F.C. Porto as Football Club do Porto
- Beginning in 1893, the National League's championship pennant is awarded to the first-place club in the standings at the end of the season. Boston Beaneaters takes the 1893 title and there is no post-season play-off series.
- The pitcher's rubber replaces the box and the effective distance from home plate increases from 55 feet to 60 feet, 6 inches.
Lineal world champions
The Boat Race
Home Nations Championship
- In the 11th series, six matches are played between England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Wales wins all three of its matches to take the Championship for the first time.
Speed Skating World Championships