Get 1896 in Film essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 1896 in Film discussion
. Add 1896 in Film
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
1896 in Film
The following is an overview of the events of 1896 in film, including a list of films released and notable births.
Ad for Vitascope Hall, New Orleans
, offering "an entirely new series of pictures".
- April - Edison and Armat's Vitascope is used to project motion pictures in public screenings in New York City.
- May 14 - Tsar Nicholas II of Russia is crowned in Moscow, the first coronation ever recorded in film.
- July 26 - "Vitascope Hall" opens on Canal Street, New Orleans, the first business devoted exclusively to showing motion pictures at a fixed location 
- September 28 - The Pathé Frères film company is founded.
- October 19 - "Edisonia Hall" in Buffalo, New York, the first building constructed specifically for showing motion pictures. 
- In France, magician and filmmaker Georges Méliès begins experimenting with the new motion picture technology, developing early special effect techniques, including stop motion.
- William Selig founds the Selig Polyscope Company in Chicago.
- Demeny-Gaumont work on a 60 mm format, first known as Biographe (unperforated), then Chronophotographe (perforated).
- Casimir Sivan and E. Dalphin create a 38 mm format.
Films released in 1896
- Arab Cortege, Geneva, directed by Louis Lumière
- Arrival Of A Train At La Ciotat, directed by Louis Lumière
- Arrivée d'un train gare de Vincennes, currently presumed to be a lost film
- L'Arroseur, most likely a lost film
- Baignade en mer
- Barnet Horse Fair
- Bateau-mouche sur la Seine
- Batteuse à vapeur
- Bébé et fillettes
- Le Bivouac
- Blackfriars Bridge
- Les Blanchisseuses
- Bois de Boulogne (Porte de Madrid)
- Bois de Boulogne (Touring Club)
- Boulevard des Italiens
- The Boxing Kangaroo, directed by Birt Acres
- Boxing Match; or, Glove Contest
- Campement de bohémiens
- The Cabbage Fairy, directed by Alice Guy-Blaché
- Carmaux, Drawing Out The Coke, directed by Louis Lumière
- Le cauchemar (A Nightmare), directed by Georges Méliès
- Childish Quarrel, directed by Louis Lumière
- Children Digging For Clams, directed by Louis Lumière
- Dragoons Crossing The Saone, directed by Louis Lumière
- Feeding The Doves, directed by William Heise
- Gestoorde hengelaar, directed by M.H. Laddé
- The Haunted Castle (Le Manoir du diable), directed by Georges Méliès
- The Kiss, directed by William Heise, starring May Irwin and John Rice. First kiss on film. May be considered the first romantic film.
- Lion, London Zoological Gardens, directed by Alexandre Promio
- Loading A Boiler, directed by Louis Lumiere
- McKinley at Home, Canton, Ohio, produced by the American Mutoscope and Biograph Company
- A Morning Alarm, produced by Edison Studios.
- New York: Broadway At Union Square, directed by Louis Lumiere
- New York: Brooklyn Bridge, directed by Louis Lumiere
- Poultry-Yard, directed by Louis Lumiere
- Pompiers a Lyon, directed by Louis Lumiere
- Promenade Of Ostriches, Paris Botanical Gardens, directed by Louis Lumiere
- Snowball Fight, directed by Louis Lumiere
- Serpentine Dance, directed by Louis Lumiere
- Spelende kinderen, directed by M.H. Laddé
- Up the River, directed by Unknown
- The Vanishing Lady, directed by Georges Méliès
- Zwemplaats voor Jongelingen te Amsterdam, directed by M.H. Laddé
- January 20
- April 8 - Einar Juhl, Danish actor (died 1982)
- April 26 - Ruut Tarmo, Estonian actor (died 1967)
- May 16 - Gilda Langer, German actress (died 1920)
- June 28 - Constance Binney, American actress, singer, dancer (died 1989)
- July 16 - Evelyn Preer, American actress, singer (died 1932)
- July 25 - Jack Perrin, American actor (died 1967)
- August 14 - Theodor Luts, Estonian film director, cinematographer (died 1980)
- August 18 - Jack Pickford, Canadian-born American actor (died 1933)
- August 30 - Raymond Massey, Canadian-born American actor (died 1983)
- October 1 - Abraham Sofaer, American actor (died 1988)
- October 6 - David Howard, American film director (died 1941)
- October 23 - Lilyan Tashman, American actress (died 1934)
- October 30 - Rex Cherryman, American actor (died 1928)
- December 10 - Torsten Bergström, Swedish actor and director (died 1948)
- ^ "Birt Acres". EarlyCinema.com. Archived from the original on 12 July 2011. Retrieved .
- ^ Mast, Gerald; Kawin, Bruce F., eds. (2007). "Birth". A Short History of the Movies (abridged 9th ed.). Pearson Education. ISBN 9780321418210.