Get 1899 in Film essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 1899 in Film discussion
. Add 1899 in Film
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
1899 in Film
The following is an overview of the events of 1899 in film, including a list of films released and notable births.
Films released in 1899
- The Biter Bit, produced by Bamforth & Co Ltd
- Cinderella, directed by Georges Méliès
- Cripple Creek Bar-Room Scene, produced by Edison Studios
- The Devil in a Convent, directed by Georges Méliès
- The Dreyfus Affair, a series of docudramas directed by Georges Méliès
- How Would You Like to Be the Ice Man?
- The Jeffries-Sharkey Fight, a documentary that is in all likelihood lost; running over two hours, this is one of the oldest feature films.
- King John, directed by William K. L. Dickson and Walter Pfeffer Dando; may be the first film adaptation of a William Shakespeare play.
- The Kiss in the Tunnel, directed by George Albert Smith; has been cited as cinema's first example of narrative editing.
- Major Wilson's Last Stand
- Robbing Cleopatra's Tomb, directed by Georges Méliès; most likely a lost film
- January 6 - Phyllis Haver, American actress (died 1960)
- January 30 - Martita Hunt, English actress, 1969
- February 6 - Ramon Novarro, Mexican actor (died 1968)
- February 15 - Gale Sondergaard, American actress (died 1985)
- February 21 - Sigrid Holmquist, Swedish actress (died 1970)
- February 22 - George O'Hara, American actor, screenwriter (died 1966)
- March 14 - Ada Kramm, Norwegian actress (died 1981)
- March 23 - Dora Gerson, German actress (died 1943)
- March 27 - Gloria Swanson, American actress (died 1983)
- May 10 - Fred Astaire, American actor/dancer (died 1987)
- June 15 - Einar Hanson, Swedish actor (died 1927)
- June 30 - Madge Bellamy, American actress (died 1990)
- July 1 - Charles Laughton, British-American actor (died 1962)
- July 7 - George Cukor, American director (died 1983)
- July 14 - Martha Mansfield, American actress (died 1923)
- July 17 - James Cagney, American actor (died 1986)
- August 13 - Alfred Hitchcock, British director (died 1980)
- August 19 - Colleen Moore, American actress (died 1988)
- August 28 - Charles Boyer, French actor (died 1978)
- November 11 - Pat O'Brien, American actor (died 1983)
- November 17 - Douglas Shearer, Canadian-born American pioneer motion-picture sound engineer (died 1971)
- December 16 - Noël Coward, English actor, playwright, and composer of popular music (died 1973)
- December 25 - Humphrey Bogart, American Actor, (died 1957)
- ^ Abel, Richard (2010). Encyclopedia of Early Cinema. London and New York: Routledge. p. 26. ISBN 0415778565.
- ^ Herbert, Stephen. "John Alfred Prestwich". Who's Who of Victorian Cinema. Retrieved .