Get 1900 in Sports essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 1900 in Sports discussion
. Add 1900 in Sports
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
1900 in Sports
1900 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
- German Football Association (i.e., the Deutscher Fußball-Bund or DFB) founded in Leipzig by representatives of 86 clubs (28 January).
- FC Bayern Munich founded on 27 February as Schwabinger Bayern at a meeting in Munich's Gisela Restaurant by dissident players from a club called MTV 1879. The name was later changed to Bayern Roten (Reds).
- Upton Park FC (Great Britain)
- Club Française (France)
- Université de Bruxelles (Belgium)
Lineal world champions
- Cricket is suspended in South Africa for the next three seasons on account of the Boer War.
- Yorkshire completes the County Championship season unbeaten, the first time this has happened since the start of the official championship in 1890.
- The Minor Counties Championship ends in a three-way tie between three future first-class clubs.
World Figure Skating Championships
- 10 March -- Montreal Shamrocks wins the Canadian Amateur Hockey League (CAHL) championship for the second successive season with a regular season record of 7-1.
Gordon Bennett Cup
- The Paris-Toulouse-Paris Trail is run on 25-28 July over 1347 km and won by Alfred Velghe (France) driving a Mors in a time of 20:50:09. The race is in retrospect sometimes referred to as the V Grand Prix de l'ACF.
1900 Summer Olympics
- The 1900 Summer Olympics takes place in Paris but the Olympic status of the games is underplayed and many competitors do not realise that they have participated in the modern Olympics.
- Women take part in the modern Olympics for the first time. The first sportswomen to compete in the games are Mme. Brohy and Mlle. Ohnier of France in croquet. The first female champion is Charlotte Cooper of Great Britain in tennis.
- France wins the most medals (100), and the most gold medals (25).
The Boat Race
Home Nations Championship
Speed Skating World Championships
- 9 February -- Davis Cup competition is established, the inaugural competition being called the International Lawn Tennis Challenge and involving only Great Britain and the USA.