Get 1960 in Sports essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 1960 in Sports discussion
. Add 1960 in Sports
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
1960 in Sports
This article does not cite any sources
. (February 2013)
1960 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
- June 12 - Marianne Heemskerk from the Netherlands breaks the world record in the women's 200m butterfly during a meet in Leipzig, East Germany - 2:34.4.
- July 10 - US swimmer Michael Troy breaks his own world record in the men's 200m butterfly (long course) at a meet in Evansville, Indiana, clocking 2:15.0.
- July 23 - Thirteen days after breaking his own world record in the men's 200m butterfly (long course) Troy once again betters the world's best time in that event, this time at a meet in Toledo, Ohio clocking 2:13.4.
- August 4 - Less than a month before the Summer Olympics in Rome, Italy, Troy again breaks the world record in the men's 200m butterfly (long course), when he clocks 2:13.2 at a meet in Detroit, Michigan.
- September 2 - Michael Troy wins the men's 200m butterfly (long course) at the Summer Olympics in Rome, Italy by breaking his own world record - 2:12.8.