Get 1960 in Sports essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 1960 in Sports discussion
. Add 1960 in Sports
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
1960 in Sports
1960 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
- June 12 - Marianne Heemskerk from the Netherlands breaks the world record in the women's 200m butterfly during a meet in Leipzig, East Germany - 2:34.4.
- July 10 - US swimmer Michael Troy breaks his own world record in the men's 200m butterfly (long course) at a meet in Evansville, Indiana, clocking 2:15.0.
- July 23 - Thirteen days after breaking his own world record in the men's 200m butterfly (long course) Troy once again betters the world's best time in that event, this time at a meet in Toledo, Ohio clocking 2:13.4.
- August 4 - Less than a month before the Summer Olympics in Rome, Italy, Troy again breaks the world record in the men's 200m butterfly (long course), when he clocks 2:13.2 at a meet in Detroit, Michigan.
- September 2 - Michael Troy wins the men's 200m butterfly (long course) at the Summer Olympics in Rome, Italy by breaking his own world record - 2:12.8.