Get 1983 in Sports essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 1983 in Sports discussion
. Add 1983 in Sports
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
1983 in Sports
This article does not cite any sources
. (February 2013)
1983 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
- May 31 - death of Jack Dempsey, former world heavyweight champion
- May 20 - for the first time ever, two world Heavyweight champions defend their titles the same night, at the same place: Larry Holmes retains the WBC title defeating future two time world champion Tim Witherspoon, and Michael Dokes retains his WBA title with a 15-round draw (tie) against former world champion Mike Weaver.
- June 16 - Roberto Durán wins his third world title, knocking out WBA world Jr. Middleweight champion Davey Moore in eight rounds.
- November 10 - Marvin Hagler retains his unified world Middleweight title with a 15-round unanimous decision over Roberto Durán. It was 1983's most anticipated bout.
- Men's European Nations Cup held at Amstelveen won by the Netherlands
- Men's Champions Trophy held at Karachi won by Australia
- Pan American Games (Men's Competition) held in Caracas won by Canada
- Women's World Cup held in Kuala Lumpur won by the Netherlands
- February 8 - champion racehorse Shergar is kidnapped from Ballymany Stud, near the Curragh in County Kildare, Ireland. No trace of the horse has ever been found.
- Asian Volleyball Championships held in Japan: both men's and women's tournaments won by Japan
- European Volleyball Championships held in East Germany won by USSR (men) and DDR (women)
- Volleyball at the 1983 Pan American Games held in Caracas won by Brazil (men) and Cuba (women)