The decade of the 1990s in film involved many significant developments in cinema. Continuing from the 1980s, low-budget independent films unceasingly rose and maintained their popularity in the industry within the decade.
- Thousands of full-length films were produced during the 1990s.
- Many films were specifically filmed or edited to be displayed both on theater screens as well as on the smaller TV screens, such as showing close-up scenes during dialog, rather than just wide-angle scenes in a room.
- The 1990s were notable in both the rise of independent cinema - as well as independent studios such as Miramax, Lions Gate, and New Line - and the advancements in CGI-technology, seen in such films as Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Jurassic Park, Forrest Gump, Independence Day, and Titanic. Toy Story (1995) became the first feature length film to be completely computer animated, heralding its use as a tool for filmmakers to achieve new visuals for film.
- The Disney Renaissance began in 1989 with The Little Mermaid, reached its peak in popularity with Aladdin in 1992 and The Lion King in 1994, and ended in 1999 with Tarzan.
- Several leading figures of 1980s to mid-1990s Hong Kong action cinema migrated to Hollywood with varying success: Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Chow Yun-fat, Michelle Yeoh (to the UK), Yuen Woo-ping, John Woo, Tsui Hark, etc... Updating martial arts and gunfight choreography in American cinema with films such as Broken Arrow, Face/Off, Tomorrow Never Dies (UK), Lethal Weapon 4, Rush Hour, and The Matrix.
- Bollywood has gained popularity worldwide, apart from India, especially in Mumbai (formerly known as Bombay), especially Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge which after its release in 1995, being the longest running Bollywood movie still playing at the Maratha Mandir for 1009 weeks since its release until 19 February 2015 and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai being one of the top ten movies in United Kingdom and India.
- The home-video market became a major factor in total revenue for a film, often doubling the total income for a film.
List of films