|A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (July 2017)
Advance Publications Inc. is an American media company owned by the descendants of S.I. Newhouse Sr., Donald Newhouse and S.I. Newhouse, Jr. It is named after the Staten Island Advance, the first newspaper owned by the Newhouse family, in which Sam Newhouse bought a controlling interest in 1922. The company is nominally headquartered in the Advance offices in Staten Island's Grasmere neighborhood, though Advance does not have an official headquarters.
As of October 2014, it was ranked as the 44th largest privately held company in the United States according to Forbes.Crain's ranked Advance Publications the 4th largest private company in the New York area in 2012. In addition to holding publishing and communication assets, Advance serves as the holding company for the family's 31% stake in cable entertainment company Discovery Communications. Advance also owns a 13% stake in Charter Communications, which it received when Bright House Networks merged with Charter.
Newspapers and affiliate websites
The Advance Local media group, established in 2010, operates 12 local news and information websites and more than 30 newspapers. The Advance Local group includes Advance Digital, a "central source of sales and content strategy, product development and technology." Another unit, Advance Central Services, supports the Advance Local publications, with responsibility for vendor management, finance and accounting, human resources, technology, production and facilities, and circulation. Headline Studio, established in 2015, is an in-house content marketing agency.
In 2009, Advance Publications launched a multi-year reorganization of its newspapers and their affiliate websites, beginning with its Michigan properties. Advance in most cases created regional "media groups" to oversee the websites and print publications, along with affiliate "central services" companies to print and deliver the newspapers and provide support services.
As each property reorganized, the new companies took a "digital-first" approach to publication; in most cases, the moves have been accompanied by layoffs. Staff-produced content is published first to a website; content is then harvested from the website for publication in the printed newspapers. Days of newspaper home delivery were reduced to three or four, except at the New Jersey papers and the Staten Island Advance.
- Advance Media Southeast
- Alabama Media Group
- NOLA Media Group
- Advance Central Services Southeast
- The Republican (Springfield, Massachusetts)
- MLive Media Group
- Advance Central Services Michigan
- NJ Advance Media
- The Star-Ledger (Newark, New Jersey)
- The Times (Trenton, New Jersey)
- The Jersey Journal (Jersey City, New Jersey)
- NJN Publishing
- South Jersey Media Group
- The South Jersey Times
- The Hunterdon Democrat (Flemington, New Jersey)
- Gloucester County Times (Woodbury, New Jersey)
- The News of Cumberland County (Bridgeton, New Jersey)
- Today's Sunbeam (Salem, New Jersey)
- The Warren Reporter (Hackettstown, New Jersey)
- The Reporter (Somerset County, New Jersey)
- Independent Press (New Providence, New Jersey)
- Suburban News (Clark, New Jersey)
- Cranford Chronicle (Cranford, New Jersey)
- Lehigh Valley Media Group
- Penn Jersey Advance Central Services
- Staten Island Advance (Staten Island, New York)
- Syracuse Media Group
- Advance Central Services Syracuse
- Advance Ohio (New name for Northeast Ohio Media Group as of January 26, 2016)
- The Plain Dealer Publishing Company
- Oregonian Media Group
- Advance Central Services Oregon
- PA Media Group
- Advance Central Services Pennsylvania
Business journals and periodicals
Condé Nast Digital
- POP (acquired 2013)
- 1010data (acquired 2015)
- Pitchfork (acquired 2015)
- reddit.com: "Reddit used to be owned by Condé Nast, but in 2011 it was moved out from under Condé Nast to Advance Publications, which is Condé Nast's parent company. Then in 2012, Reddit was spun out into a re-incorporated independent entity with its own board and control of its own finances, hiring a new CEO and bringing back co-founder Alexis Ohanian to serve on the board. Reddit has 3 sets of shareholders: The largest shareholder is still Advance Publications. The second-largest set of shareholders are Reddit employees. In the spin-out that occurred in early 2012, Advance voluntarily reduced its sole ownership to that of a partial owner in order to put ownership in the hands of current and future employees. The third and smallest fraction consists of a set of angel investors."
- Charter Communications shareholder following May 2016 merger of Bright House Networks
- Discovery Communications shareholder
Former and defunct divisions
Formerly-owned television stations
Stations are listed alphabetically by state and city of license.
- (**) - Indicates a station that was built and signed-on by Advance/Newhouse.
- ^ "Advance Publications," Forbes.com. Accessed February 26, 2015.
- ^ Flamm, Matthew (November 21, 2010). "Advance Publications at crossroads". Crain's New York. Retrieved 2012.
- ^ "America's Largest Private Companies," Forbes.com. Accessed February 26, 2015.
- ^ Flamm, Matthew (December 13, 2010). "Advance Publications waving around $500M". CransNewYork.com. Retrieved 2012.
- ^ "Newhouse Broadcasting reports 13 pct stake in Charter Communications". Reuters. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Charter Communications Agrees to Acquire Time Warner Cable". The New York Times. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "Leading National Media Company - Advance Local". Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "ADVANCE LOCAL 2013 YEAR END LETTER - Advance Local". Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Advance digital makeover of its newspapers -- five years in and no turning back". 24 June 2014. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Affiliated Newspapers". Advance Publications. Retrieved .
- ^ "The Ann Arbor News, or There and Back Again: Why the news world's first print edition of a website is coming to a close". Retrieved 2016.
- ^ Cook, John. (2013, January 16). "Advance Publications buys Seattle digital agency POP," GeekWire.com. Accessed: February 26, 2015.
- ^ "Advance Acquires 1010data for $500 Million". Retrieved 2016.
- ^ Ha, Anthony. "Condé Nast Exec Says Acquisition Won't Change Pitchfork's Voice". Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Independence". reddit Blog. Retrieved .
- ^ "reddit myth busters". Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "RCA History". bobsamerica. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "The World: Bertelsmann Swallows Random House; American Pop Culture, Foreign-Owned". The New York Times. 29 March 1998. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Newhouse News Service Shutters After 47 Years". Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Religion News Service - Press Releases - Religion News Service Enters Nonprofit Partnership with Religion Newswriters Foundation". Retrieved 2016.
- Newhouse, Thomas Maier, St. Martin's Press, 1994.