Get Allan Antliff essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Allan Antliff discussion
. Add Allan Antliff
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Allan W. Antliff is an anarchist activist, art critic and author who has written extensively on the topics of anarchism and art in North America.
Antliff holds the Canada Research Chair in Art History at the University of Victoria, where he teaches undergraduate and graduate courses on modern and contemporary art. His research interests include dada, contemporary art, anarchist history and political theory, and his graduate seminars include "20th-Century Anarchism and Avant-Garde Art"; "New York Dada" and "American Modernism Between the Wars". In addition to teaching art history, Antliff co-edits the Alternative Press Review, serves as art editor for Anarchist Studies, edited the volume Only a Beginning: An Anarchist Anthology (1998) and has written two scholarly books; Anarchist Modernism: Art, Politics and the First American Avant-Garde (2001) and Art and Anarchy: From the Paris Commune to the Fall of the Berlin Wall (2007).
- Only a Beginning: An Anarchist Anthology. Arsenal Pulp Press (2004) ISBN 1-55152-167-9.
- Anarchist Modernism: Art, Politics, and the First American Avant-Garde. University of Chicago Press (2001).
- Anarchy and Art: From the Paris Commune to the Fall of the Berlin Wall. Arsenal Pulp Press (1998).
- Anarchy in Art: Strategies of Dissidence, Anarchist Studies. 11 no. 1 (2003): 66-83.
- Art/Politics/Subterfuge, Mix Magazine. 27 no. 4 (2002): 29-31.
- "Egoist Cyborgs," The Uncanny: Experiments in Cyborg Culture, ed. Bruce Grenville, exh. cat. Vancouver Art Gallery (2002): 101-113.
- "Cosmic Modernism: Elie Nadelman, Adolf Wolff, and the Materialist Aesthetics of John Weichsel," Archives of American Art Journal. 38 no. 3 (Winter, 2000): 20-29.
- "Interpellating Modernity: Cubism and 'La Vie Unanime' in America," American Modernism Across the Arts, eds. Jay Bochner and Justin Edwards, Peter Lang Publishers, 1999.