Get Bachelor of Mathematics essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Bachelor of Mathematics discussion
. Add Bachelor of Mathematics
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Bachelor of Mathematics
This article does not cite any sources
. (December 2009)
A Bachelor of Mathematics is an undergraduate academic degree awarded for successfully completing a program of study in mathematics or related disciplines, such as computer science or statistics. The Bachelor of Mathematics degree is frequently abbreviated as B.Math or BMath.
A BMath program generally lasts three years with a fourth "honours" year in China and Australia. BMath programs are increasingly taking about five years to complete because of coop or internship placements.
Difference between the BMath and BSc/BS or BA
In practice, this is essentially equivalent to a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree with a speciality in mathematics. Relatively few institutions award Bachelor of Mathematics degrees, and the distinction between those that do and those that award B.Sc or B.A. degrees for mathematics is usually bureaucratic, rather than curriculum related. However, schools that offer Bachelor of Mathematics degrees argue for a separate degree, maintaining that the study of mathematics is vastly different from other fields.
List of institutions awarding Bachelor of Mathematics degrees
- Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
- RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia (a Bachelor of Science (Mathematics)/(Statistics) BSc(Mathematics)/BSc(Statistics))
- The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia (a Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences BMASC)
- University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia (a Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences BMathSc or Bachelor of Mathematical and Computer Sciences BMath&CompSc)
- University of Newcastle, Newcastle, Australia
- University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia (a Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences BMathSc)
- University of Wollongong, Wollongong, Australia
- University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia (a Bachelor of Computer and Mathematical Sciences BCM)(Pakistan)