Christiane Paul is an Associate Professor in the School of Media Studies at The New School, and Adjunct Curator of New Media Arts at the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York City.
Paul received both her MA and PhD from the University of Düsseldorf. She has written extensively on new media arts and lectured internationally on art and technology.
Her recent books are Context Providers - Conditions of Meaning in Media Arts (Intellect, 2011; Chinese edition, Beijing Beepub Media & Culture Publishing Co., 2012), co-edited with Margot Lovejoy and Victoria Vesna; New Media in the White Cube and Beyond (UC Press, 2008); and Digital Art (Thames and Hudson 2003 / 2008 / 2015). As Adjunct Curator of New Media Arts at the Whitney Museum of American Art, she curated several exhibitions--including Cory Arcangel: Pro Tools (2011), Profiling (2007), Data Dynamics (2001) and the net art selection for the 2002 Whitney Biennial--as well as artport (artport.whitney.org), the Whitney Museum's website devoted to Internet art.
Other recent curatorial work includes The Public Private (Kellen Gallery, The New School, Feb. 7 - April 17, 2013), Eduardo Kac: Biotopes, Lagoglyphs and Transgenic Works (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2010); Biennale Quadrilaterale (Rijeka, Croatia, 2009-10); Feedforward - The Angel of History (co-curated with Steve Dietz; Laboral Center for Art and Industrial Creation, Gijon, Spain, Oct. 2009); INDAF Digital Art Festival (Incheon, Korea, Aug. 2009); and Scalable Relations (Beall Center for Art and Technology, Irvine, CA; as well as galleries at UCSD, UCLA and UCSB, 2008-09).
Paul has previously taught in the MFA computer arts department at the School of Visual Arts in New York (1999-2008); the Digital+Media Department of the Rhode Island School of Design (2005-08); the San Francisco Art Institute and the Center of New Media at the University of California at Berkeley (2008).
- The Public Private - Sheila Johnson Design Center, Kellen Gallery, The New School (02/06 - 04/17)
- America's Got No Talent - Jonah Brucker Cohen and Katherine Moriwaki, artport, Whitney Museum of American Art (02/13 - present)
- Light and Dark Networks - Ursula Endlicher, Sunset / Sunrise series, artport, Whitney Museum of American Art (12/15 - present)
- The Assignment Book - a project by Luis Camnitzer, co-curated with Trebor Scholz, Arnold and Sheila Aronson Galleries, The New School (09/21 - 10/16)
- Cory Arcangel: Pro Tools - Whitney Museum of American Art (05/26 - 09/11)
- CLICKISTAN by Ubermorgen.com - online game, Whitney Museum of American Art (12/12 - present)
- Eduardo Kac: Lagoglyphs, Biotopes and Transgenic Works - Oi Futuro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (01/25 - 03/30)
- Profiling - Whitney Museum of American Art (06/08 - 09/09)
- Feedback - Laboral Center for Art and Industrial Creation, Gijon, Spain; Co-curator / Video Documentation (03/30 - 06/30)
- Translations: Misguided Machines and Cultural Loops - Selected Works by Students of the Design+Media Dept., RISD, Emergence at DUO Theater, NYC (11/04 - 11/26)
- Second Natures - Eli & Edythe Broad Art Center, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA (09/13 - 10/26)
- ARCO Blackbox - ARCO ART Fair, Madrid, Spain; Co-curator (02/08 - 02/12)
- Follow Through - A Mobile Media Project, Whitney Museum of American Art (12/01 - 01/29)
- The Passage of Mirage - Chelsea Art Museum; public program of Intelligent Agent; Co-curator (09/14 - 10/16)
- Evident Traces - Ciberarts Festival, Bilbao, Spain (04/23 - 04/30)
- eVolution - Art Interactive Gallery, Boston (01/23 - 04/11)
- CODeDOC II - the Ars Electronica Festival, Linz, Austria (09/06 - 09/11)
- Vectors: Digital Art of Our Time - 10th anniversary exhibition of the New York Digital Salon, World Financial Center, NYC; Co-curator (04/22 - 05/25)
- CODeDOC - online exhibition at the Whitney's artport site (09/16 - present)
- Mapping Transitions - a net art exhibition and forum at the University of Colorado, Boulder; Co-curator and organizer, with Mark Amerika (09/13 - 09/15)
- 2002 Whitney Biennial, Net Art Selection (03/07 - 05/26)
- Re-Media -- Net Art Selection for the 2002 Fotofest Biennial (03/01 - 04/01)
- Net Art Selection for EVO1, Gallery L, Moscow, Russia (10/04 - 10/25)
- Data Dynamics -- Exhibition of Net Art, Whitney Museum (03/22 - 06/10)
- A Companion to Digital Art, Wiley-Blackwell, April 2016, Hoboken, NJ
- Digital Art, World of Art Series, Thames & Hudson, UK, 3rd revised ed. 2015 (1st edition 2003; 2nd revised edition 2008)
- Chinese Edition: Context Providers -- Conditions of Meaning in Media Arts (Beijing Beepub Media & Culture Publishing Co., Ltd: Beijing, 2012)
- Context Providers -- Conditions of Meaning in Media Arts, Co-editor with Margot Lovejoy and Victoria Vesna, Intellect Press, UK / University of Chicago Press, 2011
- New Media in the White Cube and Beyond - Curatorial Models for Digital Art, Editor, UC California Press, 2008
- telematic landscape / Telematische Landschaft, editor, Verlag Walther König, Cologne, Germany, 1999
- Unreal City, A Hypertext Companion to T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land, Storyspace hypertext software, Cambridge, MA: Eastgate Systems, Inc., 1995
- Die Antizipation der amerikanischen Postmoderne im Romanwerk Herman Melvilles / The Anticipation of Postmodern American Fiction in the Novels of Herman Melville [Dissertation], Idstein, Germany: Schulz-Kirchner Verlag, 1988
- Bruce Wands, Art of the Digital Age, London: Thames & Hudson 2006
- Ian Chilvers & John Glaves-Smith, A Dictionary of Modern and Contemporary Art. Oxford University Press 2009
- Lieser, Wolf. Digital Art. Langenscheidt: h.f. ullmann. 2009
- Sarah Cook, Verina Gfader, Beryl Graham and Axel Lapp (eds), A Brief History of Curating New Media Art, Berlin: The Green Box 2010