|Predecessor||White Star Line
|Headquarters||Liverpool, United Kingdom|
|Percy Bates (Chairman)|
|Owner||Cunard Line (62%) and White Star Line (38%)|
Cunard White Star Line, Ltd., was a British shipping line which existed between 1934 and 1949, It was created as an operating company to control the joint shipping assets of the Cunard Line and the White Star Line after both companies experienced financial difficulties during the Great Depression. Cunard White Star controlled a total of twenty-five large ocean liners (with Cunard contributing fifteen ships and White Star ten). Both Cunard and White Star were in dire financial trouble, and were looking to complete enormous liners: White Star had Hull 844 - RMS Oceanic III - and Cunard had Hull 534, which would later become RMS Queen Mary.
Cunard owned 62% of the new company, Cunard White Star, while White Star owned the remaining 38%.
Being in a better financial and operating state than White Star, Cunard Line began absorbing all White Star assets and as a result, most of the White Star Liners were quickly disposed of or sent to the breakers' yard. White Star's Australia and New Zealand service ships were donated to the Shaw, Savill & Ablion Line in 1934 with the Olympic being sent to Jarrow for breaking the following year along with Cunard's ageing Mauretania that was broken up at Rosyth. White Star's flagship Majestic, that had been the largest ship in the world until 1935, was sold in 1936.
In 1947, Cunard acquired the 38% of Cunard White Star it didn't already own and in 1949 bought out the entire company, operating individually as the Cunard Line. However, both the Cunard and White Star house flags were flown on the company's liners at the time of the merger and thereafter. However, the Cunard flag was flown above the White Star flag, even on the last two original White Star Liners, RMS Georgic and RMS Britannic. Georgic was scrapped in 1956. Britannic made the final Liverpool-New York crossing of any White Star Liner from New York on 25 November 1960, and returned to Liverpool for the final time under her own power to the ship breakers and was the last White Star Liner in existence, this left the passenger tender SS Nomadic (which was also owned by the company until 1934) as the last White Star Line ship still afloat.
Despite this, all Cunard Line ships flew both the Cunard and White Star Line house flags on their masts until late 1968. This was most likely because Nomadic remained in service with Cunard until November 4, 1968, and was sent to the breakers' yard, only to be bought for use as a floating restaurant. After this, all remnants of the company were dissolved.
Cunard Line from that point on operated as a separate entity until 2005, when it was absorbed as a subsidiary into Carnival Corporation.
Nomadic, which left White Star service in 1934, is undergoing restoration work in her city of birth, Belfast, in Northern Ireland. She is the only surviving White Star Line ship (from before the merger), and she the Queen Mary are the only surviving Cunard White Star Line ships. Queen Mary is permanently berthed in Long Beach, California, as a hotel and tourist attraction.
|Ship||Built||In service for Cunard White Star Line||Tonnage|
|RMS Olympic||1911||1934-35||46,439 GRT|
|RMS Mauretania I||1906||1934-35||31,950 GRT|
|RMS Adriatic||1907||1934||24,541 GRT|
|RMS Berengaria||1913||1934-38||51,950 GRT|
|RMS Homeric||1913||1934-35||35,000 GRT|
|RMS Aquitania||1914||1934-49||45,650 GRT|
|RMS Majestic||1914||1934-36||56,551 GRT|
|RMS Scythia||1921||1934-49||19,700 GRT|
|RMS Samaria||1922||1934-49||19,700 GRT|
|RMS Laconia||1922||1934-42||19,700 GRT|
|RMS Antonia||1922||1934-42||13,900 GRT|
|RMS Lancastria||1922||1934-40||16,250 GRT|
|RMS Aurania||1924||1934-42||14,000 GRT|
|RMS Carinthia||1925||1934-40||20,200 GRT|
|Calgaric||1927||Never entered service (owned 1934)||16,063 GRT|
|RMS Britannic||1929||1934-49||26,943 GRT|
|RMS Georgic||1932||1934-49||27,759 GRT|
|RMS Queen Mary||1936||1936-49||80,750 GRT|
|RMS Mauretania II||1938||1938-49||35,738 GRT|
|RMS Queen Elizabeth||1940||1940-49||83,650 GRT|
|RMS Media||1947||1947-49||13,350 GRT|
|RMS Parthia||1947||1947-49||13,350 GRT|
|RMS Caronia||1949||1949||34,200 GRT|