Get Dave Smith Poet essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Dave Smith Poet discussion
. Add Dave Smith Poet
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Dave Smith Poet
Dave Smith (born December 19, 1942  in Portsmouth, Virginia) is an American poet, writer, critic, editor, and educator.
Dave Smith holds BA, MA, and PhD degrees in English from the University of Virginia, Southern Illinois University, and Ohio University, respectively. He is the author of more than a dozen volumes of poetry, and has also published works of prose and edited collections. Smith has taught literature and creative writing at numerous institutions of higher education, including the University of Utah, the University of Florida, Louisiana State University, and is currently Elliott Coleman Professor of Poetry at Johns Hopkins University. Formerly editor of The Southern Review, Smith now serves as editor of the Southern Messenger Poets series from Louisiana State University Press. He is an elected member of the Fellowship of Southern Writers and a frequent Sewanee Writers' Conference faculty member.
- National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship
- John Simon Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship
- Rockefeller Foundation Fellowship
- Lyndhurst Fellowship
- Virginia Prize in Poetry
- American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters Award in Poetry
- Hawks on Wires: Poems 2005-2010. Louisiana State University Press, 2011.
- Little Boats, Unsalvaged. Louisiana State University Press, 2006.
- The Wick of Memory: New and Selected Poems 1970-2000. Louisiana State University Press, 2000.
- Floating on Solitude: Three Books of Poems. University of Illinois Press, 1997.
- Fate's Kite: Poems 1991-1995. Louisiana State University Press, 1995.
- Night Pleasures: New and Selected Poems. Bloodaxe Books (England), 1992.
- Cuba Night. William Morrow & Co., 1990.
- The Roundhouse Voices: Selected and New Poems. Harper & Row, 1985.
- Gray Soldiers. Stuart Wright, 1984.
- In the House of the Judge. Harper & Row, 1983; Carnegie-Mellon University Press, 2004.
- Homage to Edgar Allan Poe. Louisiana State University Press, 1981.
- Dream Flights. University of Illinois Press, 1981.
- Blue Spruce. Tamarack Press, 1981.
- Goshawk, Antelope. University of Illinois Press, 1979.
- Cumberland Station. University of Illinois Press, 1977.
- The Fisherman's Whore. Ohio University Press, 1974; Carnegie-Mellon University Press, 1989.
- Mean Rufus Throw Down. Basilisk Press, 1973.
- Tremble. The Black Warrior Review, 1998.
- Three Poems. Mir Poets/Word Press, England, 1989.
- The Traveling Photographer. Prairie Schooner, 1981.
- In Dark, Sudden With Light. Croissant & Co., Ltd, 1977.
- Drunks. Sou'wester, 1975.
- Bull Island. Back Door Press, 1970.
- "Brown Shoes." Rattlesnake Mountain Press, Idaho, 1989.
- "Photograph of a Confederate Soldier Standing on Rocks in the James River at Richmond." Stuart Wright, 1982.
- Southern Delights. Croissant & Co, Ltd., 1984.
- Onliness. Louisiana State University Press, 1981.
- Hunting Men: Reflections on a Life in American Poetry. Louisiana State University Press, 2006.
- Local Assays: On Contemporary American Poetry. University of Illinois Press, 1985.
- The Essential Poe. ECCO Press, 1991.
- The Morrow Anthology of Younger American Poets. William Morrow & Co., 1985. Co-edited with David Bottoms.
- The Pure Clear Word: Essays on the Poetry of James Wright. University of Illinois Press, 1982.