Dr. Gary P. Hamel (born 1954) is an American management expert. He is a founder of Strategos, an international management consulting firm based in Chicago.
Hamel is a graduate of Andrews University (1975) and the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan (1990)
Hamel has been a Visiting Professor of International Business at the University of Michigan (PhD 1990) and at Harvard Business School. He is a visiting Professor of Strategic Management at London Business School.
Hamel is divorced and currently lives in Salt Lake City.
Gary Hamel is the originator (with C. K. Prahalad) of the concept of core competencies. He is also the director of the Woodside Institute, a nonprofit research foundation based in Woodside, California. He was a founder of the consulting firm Strategos, serving as Chairman until 2003. The UTEK Corporation acquired Strategos in 2008 in an all-stock transaction as reported by the SEC. In 2012 Strategos became an independent strategy and innovation consultancy once again through a management buy-out.
The Wall Street Journal ranked Gary Hamel as one of the world's most influential business thinkers, and Forbes magazine has called him "the world's leading expert on business strategy". In 2013, his name was not present on an updated version of the Wall Street Journal list.
He is also a member of the Reliance Innovation Council formed by Reliance Industries Limited, India.
- Competing for the Future (with C. K. Prahalad) (Harvard Business School Press, April 1996) ISBN 978-0-87584-716-0
- Alliance Advantage: The Art of Creating Value Through Partnering (with Yves L. Doz) (Harvard Business School Press, September 1998) ISBN 978-0-87584-616-3
- Strategic Flexibility: Managing in a Turbulent Environment (with C. K. Prahalad, Howard Thomas and Don O'Neal) (Wiley, January 5, 1999) ISBN 978-0-471-98473-3
- Leading the Revolution (Harvard Business School Press, 2000) ISBN 978-0-452-28324-4
- The Future of Management (with Bill Breen) (Harvard Business School Press, September 10, 2007) ISBN 978-1-4221-0250-3
- What Matters Now: How to Win in a World of Relentless Change, Ferocious Competition, and Unstoppable Innovation (2011) ISBN 978-1-118-12082-8
- Competence Based Competition (ed) (with Aime Heene) (John Wiley & Sons, 1994) ISBN 0-471-94397-5
- Articles, a selection
- The Core Competence of the Corporation (with C.K. Prahalad) (Harvard Business Review) (1990)
- Strategic Intent (with C.K. Prahalad) (Harvard Business Review) (1989)
- Corporate Imagination and Expeditionary Marketing (with C.K. Prahalad) (Harvard Business Review) (1991)
- Strategy as Stretch and Leverage (with C.K. Prahalad) (Harvard Business Review) (1993)
- Strategy as Revolution (Harvard Business Review) (1996)
- Bringing Silicon Valley Inside (Harvard Business Review), (1999)
- The Quest for Resilience (with Liisa Välikangas) (Harvard Business Review) (2003)
- "Funding Growth in an Age of Austerity" (with Gary Getz) (Harvard Business Review, July-August 2004)
- The Why, What, and How of Management Innovation (Harvard Business Review), 84, (2006)