Get Health Sciences essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Health Sciences discussion
. Add Health Sciences
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to health sciences:
Health sciences – are applied sciences that address the use of science, technology, engineering or mathematics in the delivery of healthcare to human beings.
Branches of health sciences
Medicine and its branches
Medicine – applied science or practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. It encompasses a variety of health care practices evolved to maintain and restore health by the prevention and treatment of illness. Some of its branches are:
- Infectious disease – branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and management of infectious disease, especially for complex cases and immunocompromised patients.
- Laboratory medicine – branch of medicine that deals with diagnostic laboratory examinations and tests and their interpretation what make in a medical laboratory.
- Neurology – branch of medicine that deals with the brain and the nervous system.
- Nephrology – branch of medicine which deals with the kidneys.
- Oncology – is the branch of medicine that studies of cancer.
- Ophthalmology – branch of medicine that deals with the eyes.
- Otolaryngology – branch of medicine that deals the ears, nose and throat.
- Pathology - study of diseases, and the causes, processes, nature, and development of disease
- Pediatrics – branch of medicine that deals with the general health and well-being of children.
- Pharmacology - study and practical application of preparation, use, and effects of drugs and synthetic medicines
- Pulmonology – branch of medicine that deals with the respiratory system.
- Psychiatry – branch of medicine that deals with the study, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental disorders.
- Radiology – branch of medicine that employs medical imaging to diagnose and treat disease.
- Rheumatology – branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of rheumatic diseases.
- Splanchnology – branch of medicine that deals with visceral organs.
- Surgery – branch of medicine that uses operative techniques to investigate or treat both disease and injury, or to help improve bodily function or appearance.
- Urology – branch of medicine that deals with the urinary system and the male reproductive system.
- Veterinary medicine – branch of medicine that deals with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disease, disorder and injury in nonhuman/animals.
History of health sciences
General health sciences concepts