Get Intown Atlanta essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Intown Atlanta discussion
. Add Intown Atlanta
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Intown Atlanta neighborhoods (definition #1, Decatur)
Intown Atlanta (or as an adjective, "intown") is a term very frequently used in metro Atlanta to designate an area containing parts of the City of Atlanta and bordering communities. The definition of "intown" varies significantly:
According to "Intown Elite Real Estate Services" the strictest definition of "intown" includes only Downtown and Midtown Atlanta and the surrounding, mostly pre-World War II neighborhoods that contain unique destinations that draw customers from across metro Atlanta.
- Examples of such neighborhoods include:
- However, Buckhead is excluded from this definition of "intown", considered a separate area due to its size and physical distance from Downtown Atlanta
- Decatur is included in this definition
- West End was referred to as an Intown Neighborhood as early as 1982.
- Central neighborhoods such as Pittsburgh and Mechanicsville which do not have attractions, or shops and restaurants that attract significant numbers of outsiders are usually not included
- Sources using this definition include Where Magazine, Intown Elite. and Intown Drew.
- A Google Maps search for businesses that include the word "Intown" returns results that conform closely to this definition.
Similar to the above definition, but including Buckhead. Sources using this definition include INtown Atlanta and Atlanta Intown Real Estate Services.
Everything inside the Perimeter
Finally, Intown may refer to all of Atlanta and surrounding areas of Fulton and DeKalb counties inside I-285 ("the Perimeter"). This definition includes, for example, the airport, cities like East Point and Hapeville, unincorporated communities in DeKalb county like North Atlanta and North Druid Hills, and all of Southwest and Southeast Atlanta. It covers the same territory as the term "ITP" ("inside the Perimeter").