Get Jan Ekier essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Jan Ekier discussion
. Add Jan Ekier
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Jan Ekier (29 August 1913 - 15 August 2014) was a Polish pianist and composer known for his authoritative edition of Chopin's music for the Polish National Edition.
Ekier was born in Kraków, Poland. As a youth, he studied piano with Olga Stolfowa, and later composition with Bernardino Rizzi at the W?adys?aw ?ele?ski School of Music. He continued formal music studies at the Warsaw Conservatory, where his teachers included Zbigniew Drzewiecki (piano) and Kazimierz Sikorski (composition). He was awarded the International Chopin Piano Competition's 8th prize in 1937. He was later an organ student with Bronis?aw Rutkowski.
On 17 April 2000, Ekier was awarded the Commander's Cross with Star of the Order of Polonia Restituta. On 21 October 2010, he received the Order of the White Eagle.
His first wife was the Polish actress Danuta Szaflarska. Ekier died in Warsaw, two weeks short of his 101st birthday.
Among his students are Bronis?awa Kawalla, Piotr Paleczny, Alicja Paleta-Bugaj and Yuko Kawai.
- ^ "Jan Ekier - 100 years old today!". The News (Radio Poland). 2013-08-29. Retrieved .
- ^ "Pianist Jan Ekier dies at 100". The News (Radio Poland). 2014-08-15. Retrieved .
- ^ RMF Classic, August 28, 2013, "Prof. Jan Ekier ko?czy 100 lat"
- ^ Rzeczpospolita, August 29, 2013, Iwona Krawczyk: "Prof. Jan Ekier ko?czy 100 lat"
- ^ TVP.INFO, August 15, 2014, "Wybitny chopinolog, muzyk, pedagog. Zmar? profesor Jan Ekier"
- ^ Gazeta Wyborcza, August 15, 2014, "Zmar? prof. Jan Ekier, pianista, kompozytor"
- ^ PolskieRadio.pl, August 15, 2014, "W wieku 101 lat zmar? Jan Ekier, pianista, kompozytor i pedagog"
- ^ Rzeczpospolita, August 22, 2014, Edyta Borkowska: "Prof. Jan Ekier spocznie na Cmentarzu Pow?zkowskim w Warszawie"