L'apr%C3%A8s-midi D'un Faune (poem)
Get L'apr%C3%A8s-midi D'un Faune Poem essential facts below. View Videos
or join the L'apr%C3%A8s-midi D'un Faune Poem discussion
. Add L'apr%C3%A8s-midi D'un Faune Poem
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
L'apr%C3%A8s-midi D'un Faune Poem
Frontispiece for L'après-midi d'un faune
, drawing by Édouard Manet
as a faun, cover of the literary magazine Les hommes d'aujourd'hui
L'après-midi d'un faune (or "The Afternoon of a Faun") is a poem by the French author Stéphane Mallarmé. It is his best-known work and a landmark in the history of symbolism in French literature. Paul Valéry considered it to be the greatest poem in French literature.
Initial versions of the poem were written between 1865 (the first mention of the poem is found in a letter Mallarmé wrote to Henri Cazalis in June 1865) and 1867, and the final text was published in 1876 (see 1876 in poetry). It describes the sensual experiences of a faun who has just woken up from his afternoon sleep and discusses his encounters with several nymphs during the morning in a dreamlike monologue.
Mallarmé's poem formed the inspiration for the orchestral work Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune by Claude Debussy and the ballets Afternoon of a Faun by Vaslav Nijinsky (1894), Jerome Robbins (1953) and Tim Rushton (2006). The Debussy and Njinsky works would be of great significance in the development of modernism in the arts.
- (English) The Afternoon of the Faun, translated by Roger Fry, in The Poems of Mallarmé, Chatto and Windus, 1936 OCLC 1616026
- (English) A Faun in the Afternoon, translated by E. H. Blackmore and A. M. Blackmore, in Collected Poems and Other Verse, 2006
- (English) Collected Poems: A Bilingual Edition, Stéphane Mallarmé, translated by Henry Weinfield, University of California Press, OCLC 9780520948112 (1st edition 1994 ISBN 9780520948112; 2nd edition 2011 ISBN 0520948114)
- (Finnish) Faunin iltapäivä: valitut runot, Einari Aaltonen, 2006
- ^ Weinfield, Henry. Stephane Mallarme, Collected Poems. Translated with commentary. 1994, University of California Press. Online version at GoogleBooks
- Hendrik Lücke. Mallarmé - Debussy. Eine vergleichende Studie zur Kunstanschauung am Beispiel von ,,L'Après-midi d'un Faune". (Studien zur Musikwissenschaft, Vol. 4). Dr. Kovac, Hamburg 2005, ISBN 3-8300-1685-9.