List Of Native American Actors
Browse the List of Native American Actors below. View Videos
or join the discussion
on this topic. Add List of Native American Actors
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
List of Native American Actors
This is a list of Native American actors in the United States, including Alaskan Natives and American Indians. Native American identity is a complex and contested issue rooted in political sovereignty that pre-dates the creation of colonial nation states like the U.S. and Canada and persists into the 21st century recognized under international law by treaty. The Bureau of Indian Affairs defines Native American as having American Indian or Alaska Native ancestry. Legally, being Native American is defined as being enrolled in a federally recognized tribe or Alaskan village. Ethnologically, factors such as culture, history, language, religion, and familial kinships can influence Native American identity. All individuals on this list should have Native American ancestry. Historical figures might predate tribal enrollment practices and would be included based on ethnological tribal membership, while any contemporary individuals should either be enrolled members of federally recognized tribes or have cited Native American ancestry and be recognized as being Native American by their respective tribes(s). Contemporary unenrolled individuals are listed as being of descent from a tribe.
- Randolph Mantooth, Seminole
- Robin Maxkii, Stockbridge-Munsee, actress 
- Zahn McClarnon, Hunkpapa Lakota, actor
- Russell Means, Pine Ridge (enrolled), Yankton Sioux, Lakota, activist, actor
- Tatanka Means, Navajo, Lakota
- Will Sampson, Muscogee (Creek) Nation
- Larry Sellers, Osage, Cherokee, Lakota
- Martin Sensmeier, Tlingit, Koyukon-Athabascan
- Eddie Spears, Brulé 
- Michael Spears, Brulé
- Chaske Spencer, Sioux-Nez Perce-Cherokee-Muscogee Creek-French-Dutch
- Wes Studi, Cherokee Nation
- ^ "IV. Our Nation's American Indian and Alaska Native Citizens." US Department of the Interior Bureau of Indian Affairs. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- ^  "Born in Anchorage, Alaska to a full-blood Inupiat Eskimo mother and a half Cree/half French Canadian father... A manifestation of her love for her Native People is Irene's ongoing involvement in Aboriginal rights and her willingness to be outspoken on issues and at events."
- ^ "Gil Birmingham, Comanche, is one of the most successful Native actors working today." Indian Country Today
- ^  "Moses Brings Plenty is a Lakota born at Pine Ridge reservation. Young spiritual leader, he carries within him the voices of his ancestors and particularly Crazy Horse."
- ^ Martindale, David (July 15, 2003). "Meet Tonantzin Carmelo". Tnt.tv. Retrieved 2011.
- ^ Polacca, Benny. "Osage actor stars in cable TV movie this year." Osage News. 7 March 2011. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- ^ "Twilight Saga New Moon - Breaking Dawn part 2
- ^  "Rodney A. Grant is a well-known celebrity in the Native Community. A Native American actor who is in support of Native American issues and is always willing to speak for the Native American people."
- ^ Breslauer, Jan (February 20, 1996). "The Spirit Moves Him in New and Traditional Ways". Los Angeles Times.
- ^ http://www.indiancountrynews.com/icountrytv-mainmenu-138/indian-country-tv/10795-kimberly-norris-guerrero-jumps-into-romantic-comedy-with-both-feet
- ^ "Michael Horse". Wintertime.com. Retrieved 2011.
- ^  "in an interview with LeRoy Sebastian in 1963, he said "Pastor, I am an Indian, and therefore I have lived these many years believing in the Red Man's God..."
- ^ Thurman, Tom. - Ben Johnson: Third Cowboy on the Right.
- ^ Erickson, Hal. "Ben Johnson". Allmovie.
- ^  "Stephanie Kramer also intends to resume her music career, preparing a new album. Meanwhile, she devotes herself to Indian children. "I'm half Cherokee. I'd like so much for these children, who are a bit mine, to continue their studies. Life is hard In their land ravaged by extreme poverty. Thanks to an official organization, we can help them." The good-hearted actress has even taken a little girl from the Hopi tribe under her wing and she contributes a lot of money."
- ^  "...Randy,whose father is a Seminole Indian, "Got to make some comments I've been waiting all my life to say in a powerful picture."
- ^ "...Stockbridge-Munsee and a graduate of Dine' College and Salish Kootenai College. She is involved in advocating for American Indian education and directed the first national hackathon aimed at American Indian college students."
- ^  "Over the past 12 years Zahn McClarnon (Hunkpapa Lakota Sioux) has made dozens of appearances on TV, cable network movies and feature films."
- ^  "The L.A. Times has described him as the most famous American Indian since Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse."
- ^ http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/06/07/tatanka-means-rises-next-level-tiger-eyes-149784
- ^ http://nativemaxmagazine.com/marisa-quinn-finds-her-light/
- ^ http://www.nativecelebs.com/profiles/steve_reevis.htm
- ^  "Of Aleut Indian descent, Branscombe has said, "I am a Native American first, last and always.""
- ^ Carter, Joseph H. "Father and Cherokee Tradition Molded Will Rogers." Will Rogers Memorial Museum. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- ^ "Ned Romero-The Definitive Native American Actor". Wildestwesterns.com. Retrieved 2011.
- ^  "Will was a Muscogee Creek Indian born in Okmulgee, Oklahoma, in 1934."
- ^  "He drew on his heritage as an Osage/Cherokee/Lakota Indian to also become an educator, historian and historical consultant."
- ^ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2936232/
- ^  "Best Actor Native Voice Film Festival 2005 for the lead role in Black Cloud"
- ^ "Interview with a New Moon Werewolf". BettyConfidential.com.com. Retrieved 2011.
- ^ "Meeting Magua: A Wes Studi Interview". Mohicanpress.com. May 8, 1999. Retrieved 2011.
- ^ Jim Thorpe Goes to Hollywood: 1931-1950, Signature, April 20, 2011
- ^  "Born in Keshena, Wisconsin, Tousey is a Menominee and Stockbridge-Munsee Indian, raised on both the Menominee and Stockbridge-Munsee Reservations."
- ^ Schmidt, Rob. " Blackfeet Actress Misty Upham On Filming 'Jimmy P.' with Benicio Del Toro." Indian Country Today Media Network. 30 Sept 2013. Accessed 1 Feb 2014.
- ^ "Native American Authors: Floyd Westerman". Ipl.org. Retrieved 2011.
- ^ Dann Dulin, "Undaunted Spirit", A&U (Arts and Understanding) Magazine, November 2007, accessed 20 July 2013