List of International Sport Federations
Browse the List of International Sport Federations below. View Videos
or join the discussion
on this topic. Add List of International Sport Federations
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
List of International Sport Federations
This is a list of international sports federations, each of which serves as a non-governmental governing body for a given sport and administers its sport at a world level, most often crafting rules, promoting the sport to prospective spectators and fans, developing prospective players, and organizing world or continental championships. Some international sports federations like the International Swimming Federation and the International Skating Union may oversee multiple activities referred to in common parlance as separate sports: FINA, for example governs swimming, diving, synchronised swimming and water polo as separate 'disciplines' within the single 'sport' of Aquatics.
International sports federations form an integral part of the Olympic and Paralympic movements. Each Olympic sport is represented by its respective international sport federation, which in turn help administer their respective events during the Games. For a sport to become an Olympic sport, its respective international sport federation must be recognized by the International Olympic Committee.
Likewise, an international sports federation must be recognized by the International Paralympic Committee for its sport to become a paralympic sport, though in the latter case, several Paralympic Sports are governed by a dedicated committee of the International Paralympic Committee itself, under the World Para branding, for example track and field athletics for disabled athletes is governed by the IPC itself, under the name World Para Athletics. Other Paralympic sports are governed within the structure of the able bodied equivalent : for example, the UCI governs both able-bodied and paralympic cycling.
Federations recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC)
Association of Summer Olympic International Federations (ASOIF)
The following are recognised by the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations (ASOIF):
Association of International Olympic Winter Sports Federations (AIOWF)
The following are recognized by the Association of International Olympic Winter Sports Federations (AIOWF):
Association of the IOC Recognised International Sports Federations (ARISF)
The following are recognised by the Association of the IOC Recognised International Sports Federations (ARISF):
- Air sports (including aerobatics, air racing, ballooning, gliding, hang gliding, and parachuting/skydiving): Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI)
- American football: International Federation of American Football (IFAF)
- Auto racing: Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA)
- Bandy: Federation of International Bandy (FIB)
- Baseball and softball: World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC)
- Basque pelota: Fédération Internationale de Pelota Vasca (FIPV)
- Billiard sports (including carom billiards, pocket billiards/pool, and snooker): World Confederation of Billiard Sports (WCBS)
- Boules sports: Confédération Mondiale des Sports de Boules (CMSB)
- Bowling: World Bowling (WB)
- Bridge: World Bridge Federation (WBF)
- Cheerleading: International Cheer Union (ICU)
- Chess: Fédération Internationale des Échecs (FIDE)
- Cricket: International Cricket Council (ICC)
- DanceSport: World DanceSport Federation (WDSF)
- Draughts: World Draughts Federation (FMJD)
- Floorball: International Floorball Federation (IFF)
- Flying disc: World Flying Disc Federation (WFDF)
- Karate: World Karate Federation (WKF)
- Korfball: International Korfball Federation (IKF)
- Life saving: International Life Saving Federation (ILS)
- Motorcycle sport: Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM)
- Mountaineering: Union Internationale des Associations d'Alpinisme (UIAA)
- Muaythai: International Federation of Muaythai Amateur (IFMA)
- Netball: International Netball Federation (INF)
- Orienteering: International Orienteering Federation (IOF)
- Polo: Federation of International Polo (FIP)
- Powerboating: Union Internationale Motonautique (UIM)
- Racquetball: International Racquetball Federation (IRF)
- Roller sports (including inline hockey, roller racing, rink hockey, roller derby, skateboarding and artistic): International Federation of Roller Sports (FIRS)
- Ski mountaineering: International Ski Mountaineering Federation (ISMF)
- Squash: World Squash Federation (WSF)
- Sports climbing: International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC)
- Sumo: International Sumo Federation (ISF)
- Surfing and bodyboarding: International Surfing Association (ISA)
- Tug-of-war: Tug-of-War International Federation (TWIF)
- Underwater sports: Confédération Mondiale des Activités Subaquatiques (CMAS)
- Water skiing: International Waterski & Wakeboard Federation (IWWF)
- Wushu: International Wushu Federation (IWUF)
Federations recognized by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC)
There are 11 international federations recognized by the IPC, while the IPC itself serves as the international federation for 10 sports.
On 30 November 2016, the IPC adopted the "World Para" brand for all 10 of the sports that it directly governs.
Disability specific organizations
Global Association of International Sports Federations (GAISF)
Federations which are members of the IOC (ASOIF, AIOWF and ARISF) are members of the Global Association of International Sports Federations (GAISF), formerly known as SportAccord.
And furthermore, several other federations which are not IOC members are members of the AGFIS, even if this is not a governing body of a sport.
Other international sport federations
Notes and references
Template:International Air Gun Federation
Cornelius, Steve; Cornelius, Danie. The Legal Status of International Sports Federations 2014 (1) Global Sports Law and Taxation Reports 6.