An artistic representation of a Navicula
Nanotechnology education involves a multidisciplinary natural science education with courses such as physics, chemistry, mathematics and molecular biology. It is being offered by many universities around the world. The first program involving nanotechnology was offered by the University of Toronto's Engineering Science program, where nanotechnology could be taken as an option.
Here is a partial list of universities offering nanotechnology education, and the degrees offered (Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, and/or Ph.D in Nanotechnology).
A list of the master's programs is kept by the UK-based Institute of Nanotechnology in their Nano, Enabling, and Advanced Technologies (NEAT) Post-graduate Course Directory.
- Chalmers.se, Frontiers Joint Curriculum - masters's
- EMM-NANO.org, Erasmus Mundus Master Nanoscience and Nanotechnology - master's
- Master-Nanotech.com, International Master in Nanotechnology - international master's
- University of Aalborg - bachelor's, master's, Ph.D
- University of Aarhus - bachelor's, master's, Ph.D
- University of Copenhagen - bachelor's, master's, Ph.D
- Technical University of Denmark - bachelor's, master's, Ph.D
- University of Southern Denmark - bachelor's, master's, Ph.D
- Université Lille Nord de France & École Centrale de Lille, CARNOT Institut d'électronique de microélectronique et de nanotechnologie (Lille) - master's in microelectronics, nanotechnologies and telecom, doctorate (Ph.D in microelectronics, nanotechnologies, acoustics and telecommunications)
- University of Grenoble & Grenoble Institute of Technology, CARNOT CEA-Leti: Laboratoire d'électronique des technologies de l'information (LETI) o Minatec (Grenoble) - master's, doctorate
- University of Bordeaux, CARNOT Materials and systems Institute of Bordeaux (MIB) (Bordeaux) - master's, doctorate
- Université de Bourgogne, CARNOT Institut FEMTO-ST (Besançon) - Nanotechnologies et Nanobiosciences - master's, doctorate
- École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Saint-Étienne, Centre de micro-électronique de Provence (Gardanne) - master's, doctorate
- Paris-Sud 11 University, Institut d'électronique fondamentale (Orsay) - master's, doctorate
- Paris-Pierre and Marie Curie University, Institut des nano-sciences (Paris) - master's, doctorate
- University of Toulouse, Institut de nano-technologies (Toulouse) - master's, doctorate
- University of Technology of Troyes - Nanotechnology (and Optics) - master's, doctorate
- University of Lyon & École Centrale de Lyon, Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1 a two-year nanotechnology M.Sc program
- Bangor University - master's
- University of Birmingham - Ph.D
- University of Cambridge - master's, Ph.D
- Cranfield University - master's, Ph.D (Certificate/Degree Programs)
- Heriot-Watt University - bachelor's, master's
- Lancaster University - master's
- Imperial College London - master's
- University College London - master's
- University of Leeds - bachelor's, master's
- University of Liverpool - master's
- University of Manchester- Ph.D
- University of Nottingham - master's
- University of Oxford - Postgraduate Certificate
- University of Sheffield - master's, Ph.D
- University of Surrey - master's
- University of Sussex - bachelor's
- University of Swansea- B.Eng, M.Eng, M.Sc, M.Res, M.Phil and Ph.D
- University of Ulster - master's
- University of York- bachelor's, master's
- Virginia Tech B.S. in Nanoscience
- College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering - B.S., M.S., Ph.D in Nanoscale Science, Nanoscale Engineering
- Institute of Nanoscience and Engineering at University of Arkansas, Fayetteville - M.S./Ph.D Several departments in Science and Engineering have excellent research in Nanotechnology
- Rochester Institute of Technology B.S., M.S. Microelectronic Engineering, Ph.D Microsystems Engineering
-  at University of Tulsa - B.S. with a specialization in nanotechnology
-  at University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL - B.S. in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology track in Liberal Studies
-  at Johns Hopkins University - M.S. in Materials Science and Engineering with Nanotechnology Option
- Radiological Technologies University- M.S. in Nanomedicine and dual MS in Nanomedicine and Medical Physics
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro and NC A&T State University Joint School of Nanoscience & Nanoengineering - M.S. and Ph.D in Nanoscience and Nanoengineering
- Arizona State University - Professional Science master's (PSM) in Nanoscience
- Northern Illinois University - Certificate in Nanotechnology
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte - Ph.D
- Forsyth Technical Community College - Associate of Science
- Louisiana Tech University - B.S. Nanosystems Engineering, M.S. Molecular Sciences & Nanotechnology, Ph.D (Micro/Nanotechnology and Micro/Nanoelectronics Emphasis)
- University at Albany, The State University of New York - B.S. Nanoscale Science, B.S. Nanoscale Engineering, master's and Ph.D
- Hudson Valley Community College - associate degree, Electrical Technology: Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology
- Dakota County Technical College - associate degree
- Chippewa Valley Technical College - associate degree
- Richland College - associate degree
- University of Central Florida - B.S. Nanoscience and Nanotechnology track in Liberal Studies
- University of California, Riverside - M.S. in Nanotechnology Engineering
- University of California, San Diego - B.S. Nanoengineering, M.S. Nanoengineering
- North Dakota State College of Science - associate degree
- University of Oklahoma Bachelor of Science in Engineering Physics - Nanotechnology
- Oklahoma State University-Okmulgee Institute of Technology - Associate of Technology
- Penn State University - Minor in Nanotechnology, M.S. Nanotechnology
- University of Washington- Ph.D in Nanotechnology
- Virginia Commonwealth University - Ph.D in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Portland State University - undergraduate/graduate course in support of a Ph.D program in Applied Physics
- George Mason University (Virginia) - Graduate certificate
- Danville Community College - A.A.S. in Nanotechnology
- Rice University - Public Outreach, K to 12 Summer Programs, Undergraduate and Graduate Programs/Degrees, Integrated Physics & Chemistry - Nanotechnology Experience for Teachers Program, Research Experience for Undergraduates Program
- Stevens Institute of Technology - Five departments in engineering and science offer Master of Science, Master of Engineering, and Doctor of Philosophy degrees with Nanotechnology concentration
- Cinano.com, International Association of Nano and California Institute of Nano, (CNCP) Certified Nano and Clean technology Professional-Nanotechnology Experience for Engineers
- University of Maryland, College Park - Minor in Nanoscale Science and Technology NanoCenter.umd.edu
- University of Nevada, Reno - Minor in Nanotechnology 
- University of Wisconsin - Stout - B.S. in Nanotechnology and Nanoscience
- University of Wisconsin - Platteville - Minor in Microsystems & Nanotechnology
- University of Pennsylvania- Master of Science in Engineering (M.S.E.), Undergraduate Minor , Graduate Certificate  in Nanotechnology.
- Boston University - Minor in Nanotechnology Engineering. 
- Nano Institute of Utah - Nanomedicine and Nanobiosensors. [nano.Utah.edu]
- Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana - Associate of Science in Nanotechnology. 
- University of Pittsburgh - Bachelor in Engineering Science - Nanoengineering.
- Wayne State University - Nanoengineering Certificate Program - .
New South Wales
- VIT University, Vellore, Center for Nanotechnology Research, - [M.Tech Nanotechnology]
- Srinivas Institute of Technology, Mangaluru, Karnataka [Affiliated to VTU, Belagavi, Approved by AICTE] - B.E. Nano Technology
- Desh Bhagat School of Engineering, Mandi Gobindgarh, Punjab Desh Bhagat University - B.Tech & M.Tech with Nanotechnology
- Tezpur Central University, Napam, Tezpur (M.Sc & Ph.D in nanoscience and technology)
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- IITs - B.Tech & M.Tech with Nanotechnology
- Delhi Technological University (formerly DCE), Delhi - M.Tech
- Central University of Jharkhand - Integrated M.Tech Nanotechnology
- Jamia Millia Islamia (a central university by an act of parliament), New Delhi - M.Tech (Nanotechnology) & Ph.D
- Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology - M.Tech (Material Science and Nanotechnology, 2-year regular programme), Ph.D, Equipments: AFM, STM, HWCVD, TCVD
- Amity University, Noida, Uttar Pradesh B.Tech, M.Sc, M.Sc + M.Tech, M.Tech
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Kukatpally, Hyderabad, Telangana - M.Sc (Nanoscience & Technology) M.Tech (Nanotechnology) & Ph.D (Nano Science & Technology) www.jntuh.ac.in
- Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences - Postgraduate diploma in nanotechnology.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University College of Engineering Sultanpur, B.Tech in (Mechanical and NanoTechnology) Engineering.
- , University of Madras, National Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Chennai - M.Tech, M.Sc and Ph.D in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, DEHRADUN-Uttarakhand, B.Tech - Material Science specialization in Nanotechnology
- Nanobeach, Delhi - Advanced Nanotechnology Programs
- SASTRA University, Thanjavur Tamil Nadu -M.Tech integrated in medical nanotechnology
- Nano Science and Technology Consortium, Delhi - Nanotechnology Programs
- Vels university, Chennai - M.Sc nanoscience
- Bhagwant University, ajmer Rajasthan - B.Tech - Nanotechnology engineering
- Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, M.Sc Materials Science (Nanotechnology)
- National Institute of Technology Calicut - M.Tech and Ph.D
- SRM University, Kattankulathur - B.Tech, M.S. (coursework, research), M.Tech and Ph.D
- Noorul Islam College of Engineering, Kumarakovil - M.Tech Nanotechnology
- Karunya University, Coimbatore - master's and Ph.D
- Anna University Chennai
- Andhra University, Visakhapatnam - M.Sc., M.Tech
- Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupathi - M.Sc, M.Tech
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore - M.Sc Nanoscience and Technology (Based on Physics or Chemistry or Biotechnology), M.Phil and Ph.D
- Osmania University, Hyderabad - M.Sc., M.Tech
- Anna University Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu - M.Tech (Nanoscience and Technology)
- Centre For Converging Technologies, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur - M.Tech (Nanotechnology And Nanomaterials)
- The Global Open University Nagaland, Nagaland - M.Sc
- KSR College of Technology, Tiruchengode - M.Tech NanoScience and Technology
- Mepco-Schlenk Engineering College, Sivakasi - M.Tech Nanoscience and Technology
- Sarah Tucker college for Women (Affiliated with MS University, Tirunelveli) B.Sc Nanoscience
- Karunya University, Coimbatore-114 - Integrated M.Sc Nanoscience & Nanotechnology and M.Tech with Nanotechnology
- http://www.anu.ac.in Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur - Integrated M.Sc Nanotechnology
- Indian Institute of Nano Science & TechnologyBangalore
- Sri Guru Granth Sahib World UniversityFatehgarh Sahib, Punjab
- Anna University, Coimbatore
- Mount Carmel College, Autonomous, Bangalore - M.Sc in Nanoscience and Technology (2-year course)
- AICTE New Delhi has added B.Tech & M.Tech Nanotechnology courses in the list of approved courses in the academic year 2011 - 2012
- North Maharashtra University JALGAON M.Tech in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Department of Environmental Microbiology, Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar Central University, Lucknow. M.Sc in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology,
- Amity Institute of Nanotechnology, Amity University, Noida [bachelor's and master's in Nanotechnology]
- School of Nanoscience and Technology, Shivaji University, Kolhapur-416004, Maharashtra State, India (B.Sc-M.Sc 5-year integrated Course)
- Department of Nanotechnology offers two year M.Sc. course in Nanotechnology, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad-431004, Maharashtra State, India.
- University of the Punjab, Lahore, Centre of Excellence in Solid State Physics, M.S./Ph.D Program in Nanotechnology
- Preston Institute Of Nanoscience And Technology (PINSAT), Islamabad, B.S. Nanoscience and Technology
- University of Engineering & Technology, Lahore, Introductory Short Courses
- Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad, master's degree research projects
- Pakistan Institute of Engineering and Applied Sciences (PIEAS), Islamabad, National Centre for Nanotechnology
- COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT), Islamabad, Center for Micro and Nano Devices
- National University of Science & Technology (NUST), Islamabad, M.S. and Ph.D Nanoscience & Engineering
- National Institute of Bio Genetic Engineering (NIGBE), Faisalabad, Research Projects
- Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering & Technology (GIKI), TOPI, KPK, master's/Ph.D degree program
- Baha-ud-din Zakaria University, Multan
- Government College University (GCU), Lahore
- University of Sind, Karachi
- Peshawar University, Peshawar
- International Islamic University Islamabad Bachelor & Master of Science in Nanotechnology
- National University of Singapore - B.Eng in Engineering Science with Nanoscience & Nanotechnology options, master's and Ph.D in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Specialization
- Tohoku University - bachelor's, master's, Ph.D
- Nagoya University - bachelor's, master's, Ph.D
- Kyushu University - master's, Ph.D
- Keio University - master's
- University of Tokyo - master's, Ph.D
- Tokyo Institute of Technology - master's, Ph.D
- Kyoto University - master's, Ph.D
- Waseda University - Ph.D
- Osaka University - master's, Ph.D
- University of Tsukuba -master's, Ph.D
- University of Electro-Communications - master's, Ph.D on Micro-Electronic
Nanotechnology in Schools
In recent years, there has been a growing interest in introducing nanoscience and nanotechnology in grade schools, especially at the high school level. In the United States, although very few high schools officially offer a two-semester course in nanotechnology, "nano" concepts are bootstrapped and taught during traditional science classes using a number of educational resources and hands-on activities developed by dedicated non-profit organizations, such as:
- The National Science Teacher Association, which has published a number of textbooks for nanotechnology in K-12 education, including a teacher's guide and an activity manual for hands-on experiences.
- Nano-Link, a notable program of the Dakota County Technical College, which has developed a variety of nanotech-related hands-on activities supported by toolkits to teach concepts in nanotechnology throughout direct lab experience.
- Omni Nano, which is developing comprehensive educational resources specifically designed to support a two-semester high school course, both online and in classrooms. Omni Nano also discusses issues in nanotechnology education on its dedicated blog.
- Nano4Me, which has a good amount of resources for K-12 education, although their program is intended for higher education. Their K-12 resources include introductory level modules and activities, interactive multimedia, and a collection of experiments and hands-on activities.
- Nanoscale Informal Science Education Network (NISE), which has a website of educational products designed to engage the public in nano science, engineering, and technology. NISE also organizes Nano Days, a nationwide festival of educational programs about nanoscale science and engineering and its potential impact on the future.
In Egypt, in2nano is a high school outreach program aiming to increase scientific literacy and prepare students for the sweeping changes of nanotechnology.
Nanotechnology education outside of school
References and footnotes
- ^ Aldrin E. Sweeney (2008) Developing a viable knowledge base in nanoscale science and engineering, Nanoscale Science and Engineering Education (eds. A. E. Sweeney and S. Seal, American Scientific, Stevenson Ranch CA) pp. 1-35, ISBN 978-1588830852
- ^ "Bacharel em Física: Materiais e Nanotecnologia". www.if.ufrgs.br. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ 
- ^ UFABC.edu.br
- ^ UNIFRA.br
- ^ PUC-RIO.br Archived 2008-04-24 at the Wayback Machine.
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-28. Retrieved .
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-07-23. Retrieved .
- ^ 
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-12-18. Retrieved .
- ^ http://www.imp.mx/investigacion/posgrado/?imp=hmt
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-01-20. Retrieved .
- ^ http://www.cnyn.unam.mx
- ^ [Barrañón, A.; Juanico, A. 2010. Major Issues in Designing an Undergraduate Program in Nanotechnology: The Mexican Case. Transactions on Mathematics, Issue 4, Volume 9, April 2010, pp. 264-274]
- ^ [Barrañón, A., Juanico A. Designing a Bachelor in Nanotechnology Engineering at Mexico, Recent Advances in Applied Mathematics, 2010, pp. 234-238]
- ^ [A. Barrañón, A. Juanico, Mexican Design of a Degree in Nanotechnology, Proceedings of 7th International Topical Meeting on Nanostructures Materials and Nanotechnology, May, 2010, Centro de Investigaciones en Óptica, A.C., León, Gto., México]
- ^ [José Bernal, Antonio Juanico, Current status of nanotechnology in México, Proceeding of 3rd WSEAS international conference on nanotechnology, Stevens Point, Wisconsin]
- ^ Nanotechnology education#Mexico
- ^ [Armando Barrañón, A. Juanico, C. Camacho, Designing a Bachelor in Nanotechnology Engineering at Mexico, Recent Advances in Applied Mathematics, 1, 1790-2769, January, 2010]
- ^ 
- ^ nano.org.uk/neat Archived 2010-12-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- ^ KUleuven.be
- ^ Uni-duisburg-essen.de
- ^ Nano.tf.uni-erlangen.de
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-03. Retrieved .
- ^ 
- ^ NTUA.gr
- ^ 
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-08-12. Retrieved .
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-08-12. Retrieved .
- ^ http://www.rudn.ru/index.php?pagec=3435
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-12-23. Retrieved .
- ^ 
- ^ LTH.se
- ^ NCCR-nano.org
- ^ nprl.bham.ac.uk
- ^ Cranfield.ac.uk
- ^ www.conted.ox.ac.uk/nano, (Online courses by distance learning and Summer School)
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-06-26. Retrieved . Master's
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-12-15. Retrieved .
- ^ 
- ^ Nano.washington.edu Archived 2009-02-05 at the Wayback Machine.
- ^ VCU.edu
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ Rice.edu, Center for Biological and Environmental Nanotechnology (CBEN),
- ^ Stevens Nanotechnology Graduate Program
- ^ St. Helena Secondary College StHelena.vic.edu.au
- ^ https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bsg-goa/conversations/messages/3665
- ^ "Granth Sahib University to commence session March 2011", "sify.com"
- ^ Blonder, R. (2011). The Story of Nanomaterials in Modern Technology: An Advanced Course for Chemistry Teachers. Journal of Chemical Education, 88(1), 49-52. doi:10.1021/ed100614f
- ^ Blonder, R. (2010). The influence of a teaching model in nanotechnology on chemistry teachers' knowledge and their teaching attitudes. Journal of Nano Education, 2, 67-75. doi:10.1166/jne.2010.1004
- ^ NanoProgram.ust.hk
- ^ Multimedia University
- ^ EE.UEC.ac.jp Archived 2008-06-03 at the Wayback Machine.
- ^ www.nano.nileu.edu.eg Archived 2011-07-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- ^ 
- ^ http://www.zewailcity.edu.eg/zewail-university/curriculum-structure/
- ^ http://eng.cu.edu.eg/post-graduates-regulations/