Outline of Information Technology
Browse the Outline of Information Technology below. View Videos
or join the discussion
on this topic. Add Outline of Information Technology
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Outline of Information Technology
The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to information technology:
Information technology (IT) - microelectronics based combination of computing and telecommunications technology to treat information, including in the acquisition, processing, storage and dissemination of vocal, pictorial, textual and numerical information. It is defined by the Information Technology Association of America (ITAA) as "the study, design, development, implementation, support or management of computer-based information systems, particularly software applications and computer hardware."
There are different names for this at different periods or through fields. Some of these names are:
History of information technology
Third-party and vendor-neutral certifications
Third-party commercial organizations and vendor neutral interest groups that sponsor certifications include:
- The BSD Certification Group Inc. - a non-profit organization committed to creating and maintaining a global certification standard for system administration on BSD based operating systems.
- INFINIDOX - sponsors 4 professional information security certifications.
- XML Certification Program - XML Master
- Certiport - sponsors the Microsoft Office Specialist and IC3 certification (Internet and Computing Core).
- CompTIA (Computing Technology Industry Association) - offers 12 professional IT Certifications, validating foundation-level IT knowledge and skills.
- European Computer Driving License-Foundation - sponsors the European Computer Driving License (also called International Computer Driving License) (ICDL)
- International Information and Communication Technology Council Certification Program
- (ISC)² - sponsors the CISSP, SSCP and other security certifications
- Linux Professional Institute
- Majinate - sponsors the Accredited Symbian Developer scheme for Symbian OS
- NACSE (National Association of Communication Systems Engineers) sponsors 36 Vendor Neutral, knowledge specific, Certifications covering the 5 major IT Disciplines which are: Data Networking, Telecomm, Web Design & Development, Programming & Business Skills for IT Professionals.
- The Open Group - sponsors TOGAF certification and the IT Architect Certification (ITAC)  and IT Specialist Certification (ITSC)  skills and experience based IT certifications.
- Planet3 Wireless - sponsors the Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA) certification 
- Prosoft Learning Corporation - offers CIW, CCNT, CTP, AssessPrep certification tracks. Prosoft Learning
- SAGE (organization) - sponsors the cSAGE program
- SANS Institute - operates the Global Information Assurance Certification program
- Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) - sponsors the SNIA Certification Program 
Information Technology and Society
General certification of software practitioners has struggled. The ACM had a professional certification program in the early 1980s, which was discontinued due to lack of interest. Today, the IEEE is certifying software professionals, but only about 500 people have passed the exam by March 2005 .
- Surveillance, Transparency and Democracy: Public Administration in the Information Age. p. 35-57. University of Alabama Press, Tuscaloosa, AL. ISBN 978-0-8173-1877-2