Mathematics is a field of study that investigates topics including number, space, structure, and change. For more on the relationship between mathematics and science, refer to the article on science.
Nature of mathematics
- Definitions of mathematics - Mathematics has no generally accepted definition. Different schools of thought, particularly in philosophy, have put forth radically different definitions, all of which are controversial.
- Philosophy of mathematics - its aim is to provide an account of the nature and methodology of mathematics and to understand the place of mathematics in people's lives.
- an academic discipline - branch of knowledge that is taught at all levels of education and researched typically at the college or university level. Disciplines are defined (in part), and recognized by the academic journals in which research is published, and the learned societies and academic departments or faculties to which their practitioners belong.
- a formal science - branch of knowledge concerned with the properties of formal systems based on definitions and rules of inference. Unlike other sciences, the formal sciences are not concerned with the validity of theories based on observations in the physical world.
- Mathematical Reviews - journal and online database published by the American Mathematical Society (AMS) that contains brief synopses (and occasionally evaluations) of many articles in mathematics, statistics and theoretical computer science.
- Zentralblatt MATH - service providing reviews and abstracts for articles in pure and applied mathematics, published by Springer Science+Business Media. It is a major international reviewing service which covers the entire field of mathematics. It uses the Mathematics Subject Classification codes for organizing their reviews by topic.
Foundations and philosophy
Foundations of mathematics -
Mathematical logic -
Discrete mathematics -
Applied mathematics -
History of mathematics
See Lists of mathematicians