The CARS PORTAL
or automobile is a wheeled passenger vehicle
that carries its own motor
. Most definitions of the term specify that automobiles are designed to run primarily on roads, to have seating for between one and six people, typically have four wheels and be constructed principally for the transport of people rather than goods. This definition includes cars and smaller SUVs
- but not motorcycles
. The term automobile
is derived from Greek 'auto-'
("self") and Latin 'mobilis'
("movable"), referring to the fact that it "moves by itself".
- ...that the racing version of the Dauer 962 Le Mans, winner of 1994 24 Hours of Le Mans, is a roadcar converted from a Porsche 962 racecar, which dominated Le Mans, Group C and IMSA during the 1980s.
- ...that the 25 Millionth VW Golf rolled off the production line in Wolfsburg in March 2007. The first Golf started production in 1974, 33 years later the 1.4 litre TSI version became the 25 Millionth car.
- ...that the nearly identical Ford Model T engines were produced for exactly 12,000 days
- ...that the first production turbocharged cars were General Motors' A-body 1962 Chevrolet Corvair and Oldsmobile F-85?
- ...that Jeep introduced the 1993 Grand Cherokee and 2007 Wrangler in the same way -- by driving them through a plate glass window?
- ...that a small number of Renault 20s, badged as Dacia 2000, were made in the 1980s by Dacia in Romania for Romanian communist dignitaries of that time?
- ...that the Autobianchi Primula was the Fiat's first automobile with the front-wheel drive, transverse engine setup and rack and pinion steering?
- ...that the Plymouth Sundance is a liftback, even though the outside appearance might suggest that it is a sedan?
Tesla ships Ludicrous+ power mode
2017-1-11 , ?Tesla just pushed the software update to the performance models of their Tesla Model S P100D, allowing it to accelerate to 60 mph (97 km/h) from 0 in 2.4 seconds, down from the 2.5s of the previous iteration. The software update increase the power of the 2 AC electric motors which make up the powertrain by 35 hp (26 kW), making the net power output 780 hp (582 kW). This update makes the P100D the second fastest accelerating production vehicle of all time, and the most number 1 most produced quickest accelerating vehicle of the 2010s. Even more wondrous is the fact that the title was taken by a nearly 5,000 pounds (2,300 kg) four door liftback, and eclipsed the two door Porsche 918 Spyder.
Nicolaus August Otto (June 14, 1832 Holzhausen, Nassau - January 26, 1891 Cologne) was the German inventor of the internal-combustion engine, the first engine to burn fuel directly in a piston chamber. Up until his invention, all engines were external-combustion engines and fuel was burned in a separate compartment.
In 1864, Otto co-founded an engine manufacturing business in Cologne. Along with his business partner Eugen Langen he established "N.A. Otto & Cie.". This company exists today as "Deutz AG", who boasts the fact that they are the world's oldest engine manufacturers, with over 140 years of experience. (more...)
Things you can do to help
If you wish to help, you can:
- - There are many short articles that require additional information.
- - The car news needs to be up-to-date with current automotive events.
- - Add a great biography to the portal.
- - We need pictures of the beautiful cars the world has to offer.
- - Upload picture for requested photographs of cars
- - A place dedicated for enthusiasts dedicated to improving automobile coverage.
- - Famous quotes from the past.