A car (or automobile) is a wheeled motor vehicle used for transportation. Most definitions of car say they run primarily on roads, seat one to eight people, have four tires, and mainly transport people rather than goods. Cars came into global use during the 20th century, and developed economies depend on them. The year 1886 is regarded as the birth year of the modern car when German inventor Karl Benz built his Benz Patent-Motorwagen. Cars became widely available in the early 20th century. One of the first cars that were accessible to the masses was the 1908 Model T, an American car manufactured by the Ford Motor Company. Cars were rapidly adopted in the US, where they replaced animal-drawn carriages and carts, but took much longer to be accepted in Western Europe and other parts of the world.
Cars have controls for driving, parking, passenger comfort and safety, and controlling a variety of lights. Over the decades, additional features and controls have been added to vehicles, making them progressively more complex. Examples include rear reversing cameras, air conditioning, navigation systems, and in car entertainment. Most cars in use in the 2010s are propelled by an internal combustion engine, fueled by the combustion of fossil fuels. This causes air pollution and also contributes to climate change and global warming. Vehicles using alternative fuels such as ethanol flexible-fuel vehicles and natural gas vehicles are also gaining popularity in some countries. Electric cars, which were invented early in the history of the car, began to become commercially available in 2008.
Did you know...
- ...that the racing version of the Dauer 962 Le Mans, winner of 1994 24 Hours of Le Mans, is a roadcar converted from a Porsche 962 racecar, which dominated Le Mans, Group C and IMSA during the 1980s.
- ...that the 25 Millionth VW Golf rolled off the production line in Wolfsburg in March 2007. The first Golf started production in 1974, 33 years later the 1.4 litre TSI version became the 25 Millionth car.
- ...that the nearly identical Ford Model T engines were produced for exactly 12,000 days
- ...that the first production turbocharged cars were General Motors' A-body 1962 Chevrolet Corvair and Oldsmobile F-85?
- ...that Jeep introduced the 1993 Grand Cherokee and 2007 Wrangler in the same way -- by driving them through a plate glass window?
- ...that a small number of Renault 20s, badged as Dacia 2000, were made in the 1980s by Dacia in Romania for Romanian communist dignitaries of that time?
- ...that the Autobianchi Primula was the Fiat's first automobile with the front-wheel drive, transverse engine setup and rack and pinion steering?
- ...that the Plymouth Sundance is a liftback, even though the outside appearance might suggest that it is a sedan?
Tesla ships Ludicrous+ power mode
2017-1-11 , ?Tesla just pushed the software update to the performance models of their Tesla Model S P100D, allowing it to accelerate to 60 mph (97 km/h) from 0 in 2.4 seconds, down from the 2.5s of the previous iteration. The software update increase the power of the 2 AC electric motors which make up the powertrain by 35 hp (26 kW), making the net power output 780 hp (582 kW). This update makes the P100D the second fastest accelerating production vehicle of all time, and the most number 1 most produced quickest accelerating vehicle of the 2010s. Even more wondrous is the fact that the title was taken by a nearly 5,000 pounds (2,300 kg) four door liftback, and eclipsed the two door Porsche 918 Spyder.
Michelle Christensen (United States) is the lead designer of the second generation Acura NSX. Christensen undertook an internship at Volvo's Camarillo studio in California before joining Acura in 2005. She briefly worked for General Motors in 2010 before returning to Acura as Lead Principal Designer at Honda R&D. The 2016 Honda NSX was her first project as the lead designer. Christensen received the Woman on Top award from Marie Claire magazine.
Things you can do to help
If you wish to help, you can:
- - There are many short articles that require additional information.
- - The car news needs to be up-to-date with current automotive events.
- - Add a great biography to the portal.
- - We need pictures of the beautiful cars the world has to offer.
- - Upload picture for requested photographs of cars
- - A place dedicated for enthusiasts dedicated to improving automobile coverage.
- - Famous quotes from the past.