A Channel (A ? Channeru), is a Japanese four-panel comic strip by bb Kuroda. It was first serialized in the seinen manga magazine Manga Time Kirara Carat on December, 2008, published by Houbunsha. A prequel manga series, also by Kuroda, launched in Manga Time Kirara Carino from January 2012. An anime adaptation by Studio Gokumi aired in Japan between April 8, 2011 and June 24, 2011. An original video animation, A Channel +smile, was released on March 21, 2012.
Two adolescent girls named Tooru Ichii and Run Momoki have been best friends since childhood. After taking their entrance exams, Tooru successfully managed to get enrolled into the same high school that Run is attending. She decides to go tell her friend the big news, only to come at a bad time to find out Run and her new classmate Yuko Nishi have gotten themselves involved in an embarrassing situation; which begins to make things a bit awkward but funny on their first day of school, as Tooru begins fending off other people-(including boys) who might show their interests in Run while Yuko and their other friend, Nagi Tennoji, start dealing with Run's own penchant for drama. As Run, Nagi and Yuuko begin their sophomore year while Tooru begins her freshman year, their exciting high school life filled with drama, humor and adventure begins for the four friends during their everyday lives.
- Run Momoki ( Momoki Run)
- Voiced by: Kaori Fukuhara
- A blonde second year student with a parakeet like hairstyle and T?ru's best friend. She is incredibly ditsy to the point that her friends often have to stop her from hurting herself in the process. She is very forgetful, even forgetting to wear her panties and bring her school stuff. Despite her qualities, she is very caring for Tooru and will try to help her when she's somewhat troubled.
- T?ru Ichii ( ? () Ichii T?ru)
- Voiced by: Aoi Y?ki
- A short first year student who often has overly long sleeves. Due to her short and skinny stature, she often has trouble finding clothes that fit her. She has been friends with Run since kindergarten, often getting lonely when separated from her and threatening anyone who tries to make a move on her. She disliked Y?ko at first, since her first impression of her was seeing her in a compromising situation with Run, and since then constantly teases her at every opportunity. She has a pet cat named Tansan (, named after fizzy drinks).
- Y?ko Nishi (? () Nishi Y?ko)
- Voiced by: Minako Kotobuki
- A long haired second year student and Run's classmate. She is something of a scaredy-cat who often finds herself at the mercy of T?ru's teasing, usually because she is envious of her tall and well endowed figure. She speaks with a prominent Kansai accent.
- Nagisa "Nagi" Tenn?ji ( ? () Tenn?ji Nagisa)
- Voiced by: Yumi Uchiyama
- She is a second year student and Run's classmate who sports pig-tails and glasses. She is often called by Run, Y?ko, and T?ru by her nickname, Nagi. She is pretty intelligent and often makes quip remarks to her friends. She is sometimes conscious about her weight and hates extreme temperatures. She looks completely different when she lets her hair down and removes her glasses.
- Yutaka Imai ( ? () Imai Yutaka)
- Voiced by: Ai Matayoshi
- A first year student and T?ru's classmate. She is a fan of T?ru and constantly tries to get friendly with her, much to T?ru's despair. She is very talkative and always takes the chance to get close to Tooru, but is always stopped by Miho.
- Miho Noyama ( () Noyama Miho)
- Voiced by: Momoko Sait?
- A first year student and Yutaka's friend and classmate, who Yutaka affectionally calls Mipo-rin. She is also a fan of T?ru, though not quite to the extremes of Yutaka, and constantly tries to keep Yutaka from bothering T?ru too much. She works part-time as a maid in a cafe.
- Sachiyo Sat? ( Sat? Sachiyo)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Ono
- The school's health teacher, who is actually rather weak himself. He appears to have a crush on Run and has an infatuation with her forehead.
- Kimiko Kit? ( Kit? Kimiko)
- Voiced by: Minori Chihara
- T?ru's homeroom teacher, who is obsessed with poetry. She is often quite motivated in the mornings, much to the dismay of the students, and doesn't get along too well with Sat?.
- Taki Kamate ( Kamate Taki)
- Voiced by: Miyuki Sawashiro
- Run, Y?ko and Nagi's homeroom teacher, who has a rather laid back attitude. She is often seen teaching sports classes.
- Keiko ()
- Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi
- Y?ko's younger sister who is quite dedicated to her sister.
The manga by bb Kuroda began serialization in Manga Time Kirara Carat from October 28, 2008. Five tank?bon volumes have been released as of March 27, 2015. An anthology comic featuring guest authors was released on June 27, 2011. A prequel manga series, A Channel ~days in junior high school~ began serialization in Manga Time Kirara Carino magazine from January 27, 2012.
An anime adaptation produced by Studio Gokumi aired in Japan between April 8, 2011 and June 24, 2011. The series began release on Blu-ray Disc and DVD from May 25, 2011, with each volume containing two short +A Channel mini-episodes.Sentai Filmworks released the series on DVD in North America on February 28, 2012, with a Blu-ray release followed on January 27, 2015. An OVA, titled A Channel + smile, was released on March 21, 2012. Another OVA episode will be included with a Blu-ray Disc Box scheduled for release on September 27, 2017.
- Opening Theme
- "Morning Arch" by Marina Kawano (TV)
- "Balloon Theatre" ( Bar?n Shiat?) by Marina Kawano (OVA)
- Ending Theme
- "Humming Girl" (? Hamingu G?ru) by Aoi Y?ki, Kaori Fukuhara, Minako Kotobuki and Yumi Uchiyama (TV)
- "Smile Equation" (? Sumairu H?teishiki) by Aoi Y?ki, Kaori Fukuhara, Minako Kotobuki and Yumi Uchiyama (OVA)
- Insert Songs
- "Chemistry of a Spring Breeze" (? Harukaze No Kagaku) by Kaori Fukuhara, Aoi Y?ki, Minako Kotobuki and Yumi Uchiyama (ep. 1; ep. 12)
- "Start" by Kaori Fukuhara, Aoi Y?ki, Minako Kotobuki and Yumi Uchiyama (ep. 2)
- "I Want to Hold You Tight" ( Gyutto Shite Hoshiinda) by Aoi Y?ki (ep. 3)
- "Summer Dream Syndrome" by Kaori Fukuhara (ep. 4)
- "Mermaid Sisters" by Minako Kotobuki (ep. 5)
- "Let's Explore!" ( Tanken No Susume) by Yumi Uchiyama (ep. 6)
- "Summer Breeze" by Minako Kotobuki (ep. 7)
- "Tea's Melodical Beauty Bang Bang" (? Ocha Merodikaru By?t? Ban Ban) by Kaori Fukuhara (ep. 7)
- "One Night's Love, One Night's Dream" ( Koi Ichiya, Yume Ichiya) by Yumi Uchiyama (ep. 7)
- "Friends" (? Tomodachi) by Kaori Fukuhara and Aoi Y?ki (ep. 7)
- "Your Hand" ( Kimi no Te) by Daisuke Ono (ep. 7)
- "We Don't Have Wings" ( Tsubasa wa Nai Kedo) by Kaori Fukuhara and Aoi Y?ki (ep. 8)
- "Sweets Time" ( Okashi na Jikan) by Kaori Fukuhara, Aoi Y?ki, Minako Kotobuki and Yumi Uchiyama (ep. 9)
- "Happy Snow" by Kaori Fukuhara, Aoi Y?ki, Minako Kotobuki and Yumi Uchiyama (ep. 10)
- "Surely, Always, More" ( Kitto Zutto Motto) by Aoi Y?ki (ep. 11)
- "Unidentified Flying Girl" ( Mikakuninhik? G?ru) by Minako Kotobuki and Yumi Uchiyama (ep. 12)
- "A Special Place" ( Taisetsu na Basho) by Aoi Y?ki, Ai Matayoshi and Momoko Sait? (OVA ep. 1)
- "Happy New Days" by Aoi Y?ki, Kaori Fukuhara, Minako Kotobuki and Yumi Uchiyama (OVA ep. 2)