Outline of Nanotechnology
Browse the Outline of Nanotechnology below. View Videos
or join the discussion
on this topic. Add Outline of Nanotechnology
to your Like2do.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Outline of Nanotechnology
The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to nanotechnology:
Nanotechnology is science, engineering, and technology conducted at the nanoscale, which is about 1 to 100 nanometers.
Branches of nanotechnology
- Green nanotechnology – use of nanotechnology to enhance the environmental-sustainability of processes currently producing negative externalities. It also refers to the use of the products of nanotechnology to enhance sustainability.
- Nanoengineering – practice of engineering on the nanoscale.
- Wet nanotechnology – involves working up to large masses from small ones.
Multi-disciplinary fields that include nanotechnology
- Nanobiotechnology – intersection of nanotechnology and biology.
- Ceramic engineering – science and technology of creating objects from inorganic, non-metallic materials.
- Materials science – interdisciplinary field applying the properties of matter to various areas of science and engineering. It investigates the relationship between the structure of materials at atomic or molecular scales and their macroscopic properties.
- Nanoarchitectonics – arranging nanoscale structural units, which are usually a group of atoms or molecules, in an intended configuration.
- Molecular engineering
- Nanoelectronics – use of nanotechnology on electronic components, including transistors so small that inter-atomic interactions and quantum mechanical properties need to be studied extensively.
- Nanomechanics – branch of nanoscience studying fundamental mechanical (elastic, thermal and kinetic) properties of physical systems at the nanometer scale.
- Nanophotonics – study of the behavior of light on the nanometer scale.
Other contributing fields
Risks of nanotechnology
Implications of nanotechnology
Applications of nanotechnology
- Nanomaterials – field that studies materials with morphological features on the nanoscale, and especially those that have special properties stemming from their nanoscale dimensions.
Fullerenes and carbon forms
Fullerene – any molecule composed entirely of carbon, in the form of a hollow sphere, ellipsoid, or tube. Fullerene spheres and tubes have applications in nanotechnology.
Nanoparticles and colloids
Molecular self-assembly –
Molecular electronics –
Molecular nanotechnology –
Microscopes and other devices
Notable organizations in nanotechnology
List of nanotechnology organizations
Advocacy and information groups
- Cerion, Nanoparticles (US)
- OCSiAl, Carbon Nanotubes (Luxembourg)
Notable figures in nanotechnology
- Place these